Thursday, April 19, 2012

Over-thinking and over-researching..

I tend to overthink things. It’s not necessarily a bad trait, but for over a year, I’ve gone back and forth over which 9 mm to buy for myself. Narrowing my many choices about 8 months ago, I’ve been pretty much down to two, a Springfield XD-9 and a Glock 19.

I’ve gotten plenty of advice and plenty of opinions. You know what they say about opinions, and I agree, but I’m lucky to have friends with pretty much any firearm I could ever want to try, and they’re more than willing to let me play! I’ve gone in shops and handled both firearms. They’re quite similar, so much so that I’ve heard the Springfield called a Mock Glock, or a Glock copy. Each in itself is a fine, reliable firearm, and I’m sure I’d be happy with either. Frankly I’m just not that hard to please. If I pull the trigger and it goes bang..I’m happy. 

I’d talk to one person who’d say Glock all the way. Then I’d talk to a Springfield fan. I even had the opportunity to shoot both one day and STILL couldn’t decide. The main problem was probably that I liked them both! And someday, I'll have both, but I really needed to narrow things down and just buy one! 

In the end, it came down to a few little differences and some safety features. The Springfield XD has a very similar double trigger system to the Glock, which they refer to as the Ultra Safety Assurance (USA) trigger system.. Another feature that kept me going back to the Springfield, was the 1911 style backstrap safety, which ensures the firearm won’t discharge without a firm grip. Another feature is the striker status indicator which makes it visibly clear if the firearm is in the cocked position and is ready to go. These aren’t the only features that made the Springfield standout, but at the end of the day, after comparing, contrasting, over analyzing and spending WAY too much time researching, I bought the Springfield XD.


I had the opportunity this weekend to put about 100 rounds through it. It's an excellent firearm and I'm thrilled with my decision. The grip feels very natural in my hand. I still need to dial in my sights a little more as it's shooting a little low, but the fine tuning is half the fun. I'm sure there will be a Glock in my future someday, but for now, I'm thrilled with my choice of the Springfield XD-9.

No comments:

Post a Comment