Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Puleeze..

I've heard it before..and if you're a female shooter, you probably have too.."you should try a revolver, it will be easier for you." Wait, what?..Seriously? Why would a revolver be "easier for me?" Do men really believe they're so superior to women that we are not semi-automatic worthy? Do they think we're too weak to properly handle anything larger or more complex than a basic 6-shooter?


In short, yes! It's the same reason manufacturers push their little pink .22 revolvers on women. I don't want a little pink .22 revolver, I have a .22 and I love it, but its a Browning Buck Mark semi-auto. And it's not pink!

Firearms are tools. I prefer my mine to be black and semi-automatic. Do men think I'm unable to rack the slide on my firearms? Guess again buddy. Is there an upper limit on calibers that a lady shouldn't shoot? Not in my book.


I happen to love revolvers! Who doesn't?! They're great, reliable firearms. In fact, my next firearm purchase will be a Smith and Wesson .38 Special. But don't you dare presume because I'm a woman that one will be "easier" for me than my semi-automatics. They're not a "ladies" gun, plenty of men I know prefer revolvers, that's why manufacturers make so many different shapes and sizes, so we can buy what we like (and feel most comfortable with).

I know I'm not alone out there, I'm certainly not the only female who has faced this issue. I've seen other female bloggers write about similar subjects because these are issues we all face as women shooters. (@fateofdestinee has an AWESOME video blog about this and other subjects that face us, so be sure to check her out and give her a follow while you're at it!)

I love my Springfield XD-9. I love my Kimber 1911 too. Do my hands get tired after the umpteenth time racking them? Sure! Whose don't? It's not just a women's issue!

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with pink, or pink guns, but if you're going to assume it's all I can/should shoot because I'm a female at least make it pink camo!








4 comments:

  1. Dear WeShoot2,

    In defense of the men out there, I think you're being too critical of the suggestion of the use of revolvers for new shooters, especially women. As a Certified Instructor myself, I see far too many women being sold semi-auto handguns or using their husband's pistols that are more advanced than their current skill levels. Polymer 9MM and especially .40 Cals are being sold and lent to women who just don't have the arm and wrist strength to use them. Stoppages abound because they 'ride the recoil' and they lack the experience to shoot them proficiently. Until ANY of our students develop the fundamentals taught in our NRA Classes, a revolver might definitely be the better choice. After all, isn't the point to keep students shooting and progressing rather than constantly clearing stoppages? I think it is. I consider it my responsibility to evaluate the students handling of any pistol, and get them shooting safely and often.

    At such time when the female student develops the arm and wrist strength to effectively use most semi-auto's on the market, I suggest using a revolver. I believe it's difficult enough for new students to concentrate on Aiming and Trigger Control without giving them a pistol they can't use safely. A semi-auto pistol that constantly stove-pipes is defeating the purpose of getting new shooters, especially women, to enjoy the sport.

    I think a better response to those men who suggest a revolver would be to ask 'Why?' instead of assuming they are being narrow-minded. Their response will indicate if they are worth listening to at all in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You raise excellent points Tommy, thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try the "Why?" next time for sure, and I'll be sure to post to let you know! Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... those ARE excellent points, Tommy. I am a woman shooter and instructor who started out with a 9mm semi-auto and never looked back. Yes, I had a couple of stove-pipes due to limp wristing in the beginning, but my instructors corrected my grip and technique, and stovepipes were a thing of the past. It had nothing to do with strength, just education. I, too, will ask "why" the next time I hear that suggestion, rather than being offended. That said, I have no desire to carry a revolver. I love my S&W M&P 9mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Wendy! Well done! You make your instructors proud by training and making the necessary corrections. I'm enjoying the perspective! I'm chuckling to myself because of the dozens of semi's I own my carry firearm of choice is a good 'ol 2 1/2 inch bbl S&W 686 .357 Mag. wheel gun!

    ReplyDelete